What is liposuction?
Liposuction, also known as lipoplasty or suction lipectomy, involves the removal of unwanted fat through a vacuum apparatus to reduce fat bulges or pockets. By removing fat with suction through small incisions, Dr. Khorasani is able to sculpt and shape the curves of your body. Common sites for administering liposuction include the chin, neck, arms, abdomen, thighs, buttocks, and even calves and ankles.
What types of liposuction are there?
- Traditional: Traditional liposuction sculpts an ideal shape, making your body more proportional. The traditional version is best if you have localized fat deposits with good skin tone. Traditional lipo uses hollow metal tubes called cannulas, which are inserted under your skin to reduce fat from areas of your body where the tissue is less fibrous.
- Power-assisted: Power-assisted liposuction uses a cannula with the power necessary to move fat back and forth to dislodge and suction it out.
- Laser: Laser liposuction delivers laser energy to the tissue with a fiber that breaks up fat cells. Some doctors believe it offers slight skin tightening, although these claims are debatable.
- Ultrasound: Pulsing, high-frequency ultrasound waves break up your fat, making it easier to treat. This is a great technique for sculpting fat that’s difficult to reduce with traditional liposuction. It has a slightly higher side effect profile.
- Water-Jet: One of the newer lipo techniques, water-jet lipo uses high-pressure water to dislodge fat cells.
- Radio Frequency: The newest type of liposuction, radio-frequency lipo, employs radio-frequency energy to dislodge fat cells. Currently, radio-frequency liposuction has yet to receive FDA approval.
Make an appointment with Dr. Khorasani, and he can help you choose the right type of liposuction for your goals.
When will I see results?
In just 2 to 3 weeks after the procedure, you should be able to see a noticeable difference in your body, and there should be no visible bruising. At 6 months, your final results will be visible and may continue to improve over the next 6 months. If you make the most of your new figure by following a healthy lifestyle plan that includes proper weight maintenance and exercise, you will keep your shape for years to come.
When can I return to the Gym?
There is no cutting involved in liposuction and therefore patients may return to exercise as tolerated. Most patients will be able to get back to their exercise routine after 2 weeks.
What are the side effects of liposuction?
Immediately following your liposuction procedure, you may experience some discomfort and swelling that generally lasts 1 to 3 weeks.
The most common side effects are:
- Swelling and bruising
- Uneven appearance
*Individual results may vary